I have had the chance to go to a couple movies in the last week while I have been off. I saw Rogue One: A Star Wars Story and Collateral Beauty, and thought they were both great in their own way. 4.5 stars out of 5 for each of them.
Anyway, one of the things I like about going to the movies (besides eating enough popcorn to bury a subcompact car) is the previews of upcoming movies. Granted, this time around there were not any movies that had me dancing in my seat in anticipation, but it is always fun to get an idea of what is coming so you can make a plan.
How is that for foreshadowing?
So, here we are at the end of 2016 and I am thinking about my plans for the upcoming year. I shared a couple of days ago that I am going to work on being more RESILIENT over the next year in my drive for a RELENTLESS life, but now I am at that point where I need to start putting together some goals for what I hope to accomplish over the next year.
I’m not calling them resolutions. I like the idea of “goal” a little better! Let’s just say that a goal gives you a little leeway in the attainment or the level of it. At the end of the day, as long as I moved toward the goal, then I made progress. Not saying you should set your sights low, but at least you want to make it feel like you didn’t fail!
- Keep my blood sugar in a good place <6.5
- Hit my goal weight of 230 – That will be the first time I have seen that since 1994!
- Back to an exercise program that includes some form of exercise at least 3 days per week.
Home Improvement Goals
- Paint the garage and barn
- Prep for Zach’s Open House – Yikes! Empty nest time!
- Paint my fence
- Tear down the pig pen – final 4-H year for us
- New door in the kitchen
- New carpet in the kitchen
- Uncover and stain wood floors in the living room and dining room? (This is a really big project and scary!)
- Uncover and finish the stairs – same as above
- Blog regularly – It helps me concentrate and holds me accountable to the things I say!
- Read 1-2 books per month
- Write something for 15 minutes every day
- Develop the new skills of pyrography
- Begin really looking into a home-based business I can do with my wife.
- Keep “binge watching” on Netflix to a minimum
- Continue working toward my Doctorate as a student at the University for the Advanced Study of Tammi Tanner – I am not done learning about the amazing gift I was given in having her as my wife. I want to know her more and more each year.
- Journey with my wife as we enter the stage of empty nest. Enjoy the adventure of life as just the two of us again.
- Continue to spend time with my kids as they are both going to be full-time college students this fall.
- Begin the transition from the role of parenting to the role of counseling these two young adults we have been blessed with.
- Be what my family and extended family need me to be.
- Foster a deeper relationship with the men God has brought into my life and look for another couple of guys I can get to know better as I continue to try to develop good friendships with godly men.
- Be a better manager than I was last year. I don’t want to be satisfied in thinking that I have arrived.
- Build up my staff to be the best they can be in their positions and prepare those interested in advancement into new positions.
- Identify staff members ready and qualified for extra responsibility and advancement.
- Be the type of employee that my supervisors would like me to be.
- Look for opportunities to impact those I work with for God’s kingdom
- Be an approachable, caring manager interested in his staff as individuals, not as tools to get a job done.
- Daily Quiet Time – Taking time each morning to read the Word and take encouragement for my day and share it with others
- Bible Study – Continue to study God’s Word for my own growth, but also to be able to share it with others
- Men’s Ministry – I have tried a couple different things, and I am finding things that don’t work. I want to keep looking to see if I can find something that would work for getting a group of guys together for the purpose of building each other up and encouraging them in their spiritual lives. Would love to see this in Kalkaska.
- Prayer Life – Grow in my times of prayer and make it a more intentional thing with records of the things God has done.
- Psalm 101 Goals – We’ll come back to this one in a later blog. Make sure you come back!
This is not a comprehensive list of things I hope to attain this year, but it is a place I can at least go back to and see how I am doing on some of th things that I KNOW I wanted to be RELENTLESS about in 2017. There will be setbacks and redirections, but I am purposing to be RESILIENT and bounce back into the plan.
Would love to hear what your plans are for this year too! Feel free to comment and share this with others who might be looking for ideas on how to spend their year! (Especially if they want to help sand wood floors!)